How do I get an Emergency Housing Voucher?

  1. What is Continuum of Care (CoC)?

Housing authorities have begun accepting applications for EHVs.

To get an Emergency Housing Voucher, PHAs are partnering with Continuum of Care (CoC) providers to administer the EHVs. Referrals from the CoC are sent to the PHA and the PHA determines eligibility. You may also contact your local PHA to find out how you may apply.

Note: Not all PHAs were given EHV funding. And even if it has received vouchers, the PHA may not be accepting applications until a certain date. 

A list of all PHAs with Emergency Housing Vouchers can be found here. If there is no EHV waiting list information on a housing authority’s page, contact the PHA for more information.

Part 2: What is Continuum of Care (CoC)?

According to HUD, the Continuum of Care (CoC) is “a local planning body that coordinates housing and services funding for homeless individuals and families. The CoC Program is designed to:  promote community-wide commitment to the goal of ending homelessness;  provide funding for efforts by nonprofit providers and State and local governments to quickly rehouse homeless individuals and families and minimize the trauma and dislocation that homelessness causes for individuals, families, and communities;  promote access to and effect utilization of mainstream programs by homeless individuals and families; and  optimize self-sufficiency among individuals and families experiencing homelessness.”

Additional CoC information can be found here.