Can a family member be the landlord of a Section 8 household?


Generally, no a family member cannot be the landlord of a Section 8 household, unless the tenant is disabled and requests a reasonable accommodation.

A relative by blood or marriage may only be the landlord of a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher household if the tenant is disabled, they require a specially-modified unit, and such a unit is only available from a relative.

When requesting a reasonable accommodation for this service, the landlord must provide proof that they do not currently live in the unit.

As each housing authority's policy varies, please confirm this with the housing authority that serves your area. You can use the search bar above to search for housing authority and apartment community contact information.

For more information on where you can use a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, read our guide here.

More Housing Policy, Landlords, and Tenants FAQs from Low Income Households

  • How many bedrooms am I eligible for?
  • How much would my rent be?
  • Can I be evicted if my HUD apartment is sold?
  • How Much Are Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers Worth
  • What should a landlord expect when renting to a Section 8 voucher holder?