If my child is disabled, would I qualify for a disability preference?


Generally, no.

In most cases, a household may qualify for a preference only if the head of household, co-head or spouse qualifies. Minors who qualify would not usually grant that household the preference on the waiting list. Still, each housing authority sets their preferences independently, and can define these preferences however they like. It is possible the housing office you apply through looks at it a little differently. For that reason, you should contact your local housing authority directly to be sure.

You can find contact for your housing authority by searching our website here.

More Waiting Lists FAQs from Low Income Households

  • What has to be included in my household income?
  • Since Section 8 vouchers are so difficult to get, is there a place to find other housing programs that set rent based on your income?
  • The housing office I applied through told me I didn't qualify to receive assistance, and I don't know why. What could have made me ineligible?
  • Who qualifies for affordable housing assistance?
  • Can I apply to multiple waiting lists?