Is there help to find housing for non-English speakers?


Housing Authorities and other organizations that receive funding for HUD housing programs are required to ensure that non-English speaking persons or Limited English Proficiency (LEP) persons have meaningful access to rental assistance programs. This means providing forms and notices in other languages, having interpreters for LEP persons in meetings or interviews, having bilingual staff and telephone service lines interpreters. If you feel your local Housing Authority or other social service organizations are not providing adequate language assistance, you may file a complaint with HUD's local Office of Fair Housing Equal Opportunity (FHEO) For contact information of the local HUD office, go to the HUD website or call the housing discrimination toll free hotline at 800-669-9777 (voice) or 800-927-9275 (TTY).

Las autoridades de vivienda y otras organizaciones que reciben fondos para los programas de vivienda de HUD deben asegurarse de que las personas que no hablan inglés o las personas con dominio limitado del inglés (LEP) tengan acceso significativo a los programas de asistencia para el alquiler. Eso significa proporcionar formularios y avisos en otros idiomas, tener intérpretes para personas LEP en reuniones o entrevistas, tener personal bilingüe e intérpretes de líneas telefónicas. Si cree que su Autoridad de Vivienda local u otras organizaciones de servicios sociales no brindan asistencia con el idioma, puede presentar una queja ante la Oficina local de Equidad de Vivienda con Igualdad de Oportunidades (FHEO) de HUD. Llame a la línea directa gratuita sobre discriminación en la vivienda al 800-669-9777 (voz) o al 800-927-9275 (TTY).

More Housing Policy, Landlords, and Tenants FAQs from Low Income Households

  • How many bedrooms am I eligible for?
  • How much would my rent be?
  • Can I be evicted if my HUD apartment is sold?
  • How Much Are Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers Worth
  • What should a landlord expect when renting to a Section 8 voucher holder?