I'm homeless with my young brother or sister, can we get housing together?


For low-income housing funded through HUD, if your younger brother or sister is not an adult, you must have legal custody of them before they can move in.

Also, if your brother or sister has been legally emancipated, then most likely they can be part of the household. In situations of homelessness, request information from your local housing authority in finding organizations that could help you and your siblings find shelter, navigate through housing programs, and/or advocate on behalf of your family. And It won’t hurt to be proactive by contacting homeless advocates and organizations on your own.

More Housing Policy, Landlords, and Tenants FAQs from Low Income Households

  • How many bedrooms am I eligible for?
  • How much would my rent be?
  • Can I be evicted if my HUD apartment is sold?
  • How Much Are Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers Worth
  • What should a landlord expect when renting to a Section 8 voucher holder?