How to apply for Section 8 rental assistance.


Households may apply to the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program through the locally administered Public Housing Agency (PHA) during an open application period. Due to high demand, PHAs may close the HCV waiting list until they can provide assistance to new households. It is against HUD policy to charge for a HCV application.

Homes made affordable through Section 8 Project-based Rental Assistance (PBRA) are typically managed by private landlords, and application processes vary. Unlike the HCV program, PBRA landlords may charge an application fee.

For applicants who need assistance completing the application, reasonable accommodations may be made through the PHA or landlord.

More Section 8 FAQs from Low Income Households

  • Can I be evicted if my HUD apartment is sold?
  • How Much Are Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers Worth
  • What is Section 8?
  • How do I check my status on a waiting list?
  • Does a Housing Choice Voucher pay for utilities?