How do I find housing assistance with a disability?


There are many federal housing resources available to persons with disabilities. These include affordable rental housing and supportive services to help disabled persons maintain independence and involvement in the community.

The Section 811 Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities program provides affordable apartment communities for low-income disabled persons. These properties are owned by private management companies or an individual private owner, which are often nonprofit organizations. Apartments at these properties have rental assistance attached to them, so that program participants pay 30% of their net income for rent. These developments serving disabled persons also often include supportive services allowing residents to live independently in the community.

Other federal affordable housing programs have provisions allowing Public Housing Agencies (PHAs) and property owners to designate units or properties solely for non-elderly disabled or senior occupancy. Public Housing, Section 8 Project-Based Rental Assistance, Low-Income Housing Tax Credit and U.S. Department of Agriculture Section 515 programs all allow units to be set aside for disabled people and seniors.

For an in-depth explanation of housing resources for disabled persons, please read our Housing for Persons with Disabilities Guide here.

More Housing Assistance Eligibility FAQs from Low Income Households

  • The housing office I applied through told me I didn't qualify to receive assistance, and I don't know why. What could have made me ineligible?
  • Who qualifies for affordable housing assistance?
  • What has to be included in my household income?
  • Where can I apply?
  • Do I qualify with a criminal record?