Affordable Housing Online is monitoring the federal government's response to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. As of March 13, 2020, Public Housing Agencies across the nation are closing their doors to the public. Most offices are still running and will communicate by phone, email, or mail. Some offices have drop boxes installed outside, so documents can still be hand-delivered. Visit the housing authority's website for the latest on its current operations, if one is available. If there is no information online, contact the housing authority directly. Due to a high volume of calls and modified office hours in most areas, expect a long wait time (days or weeks) for a response. To find your local PHA's contact info, browse by state here.

An extensive list of coronavirus resources for low-income households can be found here.

What is Section 8?

Section 8 is a federally funded rental assistance program that pays private landlords the difference between what a low-income household can afford and the fair market rent.

Section 8 may refer to either the tenant-based Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program or the Project-based Rental Assistance (PBRA) program. In both programs, the tenant typically pays 30% of their monthly income for housing costs.

Section 8 Housing Help

Curated questions and answers about common Section 8 concerns.

How Much Are Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers Worth
Who is Eligible For Section 8?
How to apply for Section 8 rental assistance.
How to check Section 8 housing application status and waiting list position.
Can Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher assistance be granted immediately?
Where can Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers be used?
Can Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers be transferred to a different area?
Can a Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers be transferred to another person?
Is there a deadline to use a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher?
Are deadline extensions available for voucher households searching for a unit?
How long does a Public Housing Authority take to approve a unit for Housing Choice Voucher tenancy?
Does Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance expire?
 How are units approved for Housing Choice Voucher tenancy?

Frequently Asked Section 8 Questions

Detailed Section 8 Questions from Affordable Housing Online users.

Can I use a Section 8 voucher to help pay my mortgage?
What is the Moving To Work Program?
My family and I live in Section 8, but I have to move. Can we continue to receive Section 8 assistance in both places?
If I find housing before I get my Section 8 voucher, can I get approved sooner?