Will I have to pay back the government stimulus payment that I get?


Updated March, 2021

No, you will not have to owe the government back any of the stimulus check payments that taxpayers have received.

The government did not use the first two stimulus checks as taxable income, and this third payment will be handled the same way. You will not pay taxes on the money, and the money will not be deducted from any potential tax refund.

Also, if you owe back taxes to the federal government, the American Rescue Plan payment will not be taken to pay the taxes that you might owe

More information about the government stimulus payment can be found here:

More Coronavirus FAQs from Low Income Households

  • Do I have to do anything if I’m on a rental subsidy program and become unemployed or lose hours from coronavirus?
  • Are housing authorities still open during the coronavirus outbreak?
  • Can I be evicted if I can't pay rent because of coronavirus?
  • Are there coronavirus assistance programs for landlords?
  • Do I have to pay all of my back rent when the CDC moratorium ends?