Other Services Supporting Disabled Residents in Their Housing

  1. Congregate Housing Services Program
  2. Service Directories for Various Disability Networks
  3. Service Resources for Persons with Chronic Mental Illness

Option 1: Congregate Housing Services Program

HUD’s Congregate Housing Services Program (CHSP) funds meals and other supportive services for frail elderly and non-elderly disabled residents of federally subsidized housing.

  • It supports meal delivery and non-medical supportive services that help residents maintain independent living.
  • Properties must offer at least one hot meal per day.
  • Many Public Housing, Section 8 Project-Based Rental Assistance, Section 202 and Section 515 properties dedicated to serving seniors and disabled residents participate in this program.
  • You can check with the owner or property manager to see if they receive CHSP funds and what services are provided.

Option 2: Service Directories for Various Disability Networks

Option 3: Service Resources for Persons with Chronic Mental Illness

  • The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is a nonprofit organization that serves people nationwide with mental illness.
    • It engages in education and advocacy on behalf of mentally ill people at local, state and national levels.
  • NAMI has a toll-free helpline where staff can answer questions and provide referrals regarding symptoms and treatment options, local support groups and services, education programs, programs to help find jobs and legal services referrals.
    • NAMI’s helpline is (800) 950-NAMI (6264) or info@nami.org.
      • The helpline is open from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET, Monday-Friday.
  • NAMI’s Helpline Web Page also has additional information and links for help in crisis situations, including suicide, domestic violence and sexual assault.