Affordable Housing Online is monitoring the federal government's response to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. 

An extensive list of coronavirus resources for low-income households can be found here.

What Is the Project-Based Section 8 Rental Assistance Program?

The Project-Based Section 8 Rental Assistance program provides affordable apartment communities that are owned by private landlords with a rental subsidy that helps pay the rent for low income tenants. Called the Total Tenant Payment (TTP), program tenants pay either 1) 10% of their monthly income (gross income minus exclusions), 2) 30% of their monthly adjusted income (gross income minus exclusions and deductions) or 3) a minimum rent of $25. The Project-Based Section 8 rental subsidy may be available for every unit in a property, or a select number of units in the apartment community.

This program can be confused with the Section 8 Project-Based Voucher (PBV) program, which is managed by a Public Housing Agency as an offshoot of its Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program.

Start the guide at Part 1: How Do I Know If I'm Eligible for the Project-Based Section 8 Program? or choose a topic from the list below.

Project-Based Section 8 Rental Assistance Guide