Holiday Notice: Housing offices may be closed on Monday, May 29, 2023 in observance of Memorial Day.

How To Apply For A VASH Voucher

Photo of a U.S. flag mounted on a pole attached to a row of townhomes.

Homeless veterans and those at risk of homelessness must apply for the HUD-VASH program through their local VA Medical Center.

To apply for a VASH Voucher:

  1. Find the closest VA Medical Center with the Veterans Administration location directory.

    The VA directory has an interactive map to find the closest facility. There is also a link below the map to browse facilities by state from a list.

    When the nearest VA Medical Center is located, contact the facility.

  2. Contact the closest VA Medical Center, and ask to speak with a Homeless Coordinator about the HUD-VASH program.

    During this conversation, VA Medical Center staff will determine eligibility for the HUD-VASH program.

    The VA Medical Center will then coordinate with the local housing authority to provide a rental assistance voucher.

What’s Next?

After getting a VASH voucher, the next step is to find a unit before the time limit expires.

Continue Reading – How to Find a VASH Voucher Apartment
Or, go back to the beginning of the VA Supportive Housing (VASH) Voucher Guide