Housing Authority of Brevard County
Housing Authority of Brevard County is a Public Housing Agency in Melbourne, Florida that participates in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV), and Public Housing programs. As of June 2nd, 2020, Housing Authority of Brevard County has 1 waiting lists that are open now or opening soon.
The Brevard County, Florida Housing Choice Voucher Waiting List will open on July 1st, 2020.
Housing Authority of Brevard County serves Brevard County.
Waiting List Statuses
|Brevard County, Florida Housing Choice Voucher
| Public Housing
Open Housing Authority of Brevard County Waiting Lists
Due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, some upcoming waiting list openings may be postponed until further notice. Visit the housing authority's website for the latest on its current operations, if one is available. If there is no information online, contact the housing authority directly. Due to a high volume of calls and modified office hours in most areas, expect a long wait time (days or weeks) for a response.
Housing Authority of Brevard County Website: http://www.habc.us/.
Housing Authority of Brevard County Phone: (321) 775-1592.
COVID-19 Update: Affordable Housing Online has confirmed that this waiting list is still open. As of April 2, 2020, the website says:
"In response to the current situation, we’ve implemented our staff telecommuting plan which takes effect on Monday, March 23, 2020 and will remain in place until further notice."
More information can be found here.
Brevard County, Florida Housing Choice Voucher Waiting List
How To Apply to the Housing Choice Voucher Waiting List
The Housing Authority of Brevard County (HABC) Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher waiting list is opening soon. Applications will be accepted from July 1, 2020 at 12:01 am, until July 5, 2020 at 11:59 pm ET. This waiting list will reopen again from October 1, 2020 until October 5, 2020; and from January 1, 2021 until January 5, 2021.
To apply during the opening period, complete the online application here.
This waiting list has the following preferences:
- Displacement Due to a Presidentially Declared Natural Disaster: (15 points) This preference is extended to families that have been displaced due to a presidentially declared natural disaster. The disaster must have either occurred in the past year or the family must still be living in temporary housing or receiving housing assistance subsidies that will expire. The family must also provide proof that they have applied for assistance through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
- Disabled Preference: (2 points) This preference is extended to persons or families where the head of household, spouse, co-head or sole member is disabled. Proof of preference will be verified at time of selection. (HUD regulations prohibit admission preferences for specific types of disabilities.)
- Elderly Preference: (2 points) This preference is extended to persons or families where the head of household, spouse, co-head or sole member is 62 years of age or older.
- Veteran Preference: (1 point) A preference will be given for applicants that are Veterans, honorably discharged from the US Armed Forces.
- FYI Voucher Holder Preference: (10 points) A preference will be given for applicants that currently hold Foster Youth to Independence Vouchers.
- Current Public Housing Residents who are disabled: (10 points) Any current Resident of Public Housing that is disabled and need a fully designed Handicap Unit.
Selected applicants will be placed on the waiting list by date and time the application is received, weighed by order of preferences.
For more information, visit the HABC website.
Sources: This information was verified the HABC, as of April 2, 2020.
This waiting list is for rental assistance in Brevard County, Florida .
Applicants who need help completing the application due to disability can make a reasonable accommodation request to the housing authority via (321) 294-2516 or email email@example.com between the hours of 8:00 am and 12:00 pm.
Learn more about what happens after the application is submitted.
Last Updated on 04/06/2020.
Other Housing Authority of Brevard County Waiting Lists
Public Housing Waiting List
How To Apply to the Public Housing Waiting List
The Housing Authority of Brevard County (HABC) Public Housing waiting list is currently closed. It is not known when this waiting list was last open, or when it will reopen.
To apply during the opening period, applicants were required to complete the online application.
This waiting list had the following preferences: Working for 30 hours or more for three months or more, victim of domestic violence, displaced by a natural disaster, veteran, enrolled in an educational training program, or participants in transitional housing.
For more information, visit the HABC website.
Last Updated on 04/02/2020.
About Housing Authority of Brevard County
More information about Housing Authority of Brevard County can be found on its website at http://www.habc.us/.
Representatives of Housing Authority of Brevard County may be available by phone at (321) 775-1592. Unless otherwise noted above, applications will not be provided or accepted by phone.
Open today from 8:00am to 5:30pm ET.
About the Housing Authority of Brevard County Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program
As of the HUDs most recent Voucher Management System report, Housing Authority of Brevard County manages 1,710 active Housing Choice Vouchers.
The following is a summary of the types of vouchers managed and the monthly costs of each as of December 31st, 2019:
||Standard ||Homeownership ||Tenant Protection ||Ported Out ||Non-Elderly Disabled |
||1,483 ||2 ||2 ||45 ||178 |
|Monthly Cost Per Voucher
||$719 ||$1,421 ||$652 ||$891 ||$658 |
||$1,066,246 ||$2,841 ||$1,304 ||$40,085 ||$117,203 |
Household Characteristics of Voucher Holders for Housing Authority of Brevard County
Waiting List and Tenancy
According to the 2016 Q4 Picture of Subsidized Households database, the housing authority's voucher program has an annual turnover of 10% having issued approximately 192 vouchers in the past year. The average voucher holder has received housing benefits for 6 years and 4 months. According to the 2016 PSH database, persons who were issued a voucher in the preceding 12 months waited an average of 10 months on the waiting list1.
According to 2016 Q4 Picture of Subsidized Households data, the average voucher household contains 2.6 persons and has a household income of $12,836 per year. 93% of households were very low income (VLI) and 66% were extremely low income (ELI). 30% of households had wages as a major source of income, 1% of households had welfare (TANF, General Assistance or Public Assistance) as their primary source of income, and 62% of households had other income (Social Security, Disability or Pension) as their major source of income.
Heads of Household Characteristics
3% of households were headed by a person 24 years old or less, 61% were headed by a person 25 to 49 years old, 20% were headed by a person 51 to 60 years old, and 16% were headed by a person 62 years old or older. In addition, 1% of households were headed by a person 85 years old or older.
54% of households included children, 2% of which had two adults in the household. 52% of households with children have a female head of household. 87% of all households were headed by a female.
78% of all voucher households were headed by minorities with 66% of all heads of households being Black and 1% being Hispanic.
Of all households participating in the Housing Authority of Brevard County Housing Choice Voucher program, 20% include at least one person with a disability. 30% of households with a head of household 61 years or less were headed by a person with a disability. 73% of households headed by someone 62 or older were headed by a person with a disability.
Bedroom Size and Overhousing
32% of voucher holders reside in a home with zero or 1 bedroom, 42% with 2 bedrooms and 26% with 3 or more bedrooms. 10% of voucher recipients are considered overhoused, meaning they occupy a rental unit larger than their family size requires.
Rent, Assistance, and Utility Allowances
The average monthly tenant contribution to rent by Housing Authority of Brevard County voucher holders in 2016 was $331 and the average monthly HUD expenditure per voucher holder was $646. The average utility allowance across all voucher recipients is $137.
1. This Picture of Subsidized Households data field is the average wait time of those who received a voucher in the preceding 12 months. Due to special voucher programs like VASH, recent waiting list purges, or waiting list preferences the average wait time can vary significantly from one year to the next and it is entirely possible many current applicants on the waiting list have been waiting for assistance for far longer.
Public Housing Apartments Operated by Housing Authority of Brevard County
630 Kurek Ct
Merritt Island, Florida
4000 N Riverside Dr
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida