Open Until Further Notice: Multi-County, Kentucky Housing Choice Voucher Waiting List
Please Note: Due to the decentralized nature of affordable housing information, the information about this waiting list may be out of date.
How To Apply to the Waiting List
The Kentucky Housing Corporation (KHA) Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher waiting list is currently open. Applications are being accepted from June 1, 2020, until further notice. Applications were last accepted from August 19, 2019, until August 23, 2019.
There are three ways to apply during the opening period:
- Complete the online application here.
- Request an application by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and email back the application
- Call KHC Customer Service at (877) 552-7368, Ext. 711 to complete by phone.
This waiting list has the following preferences:
- Applicants who at pre-application reside in and remain in KHC’s 87-county jurisdiction while on the waiting list. Applicants who reach the top-of-the-waiting list and are determined ineligible
for the preference will be returned to the waiting list by date and time of application.
- Mainstream: Households who certify homelessness for the Mainstream program whose head, spouse, or non-elderly household member (age 18-61) is a person with disabilities. If the head, spouse, or household member has not been designated as disabled by the Social Security Administration, certification of disability must be provided by a medical professional before the preference is applied. Applicants who reach the top- of-the-waiting list and are determined ineligible for the preference will be returned to the waiting list by date and time of application.
- Kentucky households displaced from public housing, housing choice voucher participants, or applicants on KHC’s waiting list that have been victims of a state- or federal- declared natural
disaster within 120 days of the declaration. Participants/applicants must be identified by a state or federal emergency agency as victims of the disaster. The number of applicants than can be assisted under this preference will depend on available funding.
- Applicants seeking rental assistance who qualify for participation in The Learning Villa Scholar House Program located in Owensboro, Kentucky. The Scholar House Program participant is not required to reside in a Scholar House Program property in order to receive the waiting list preference. Upon eligibility determination and voucher issuance, the family’s voucher is transferred to the Housing Authority of Owensboro for absorption or administration.
- Households receiving rental assistance through a government-funded, temporary, rental assistance program, i.e., state, federal, HOME, and received the assistance due to being
homeless, at risk of homelessness, or victims of domestic violence.
- Verification from the agency providing the temporary assistance must be received prior to preference approval. The verification must document the reason the family received the temporary assistance, as well as, the effective date the assistance began and the effective date of the initial lease. Applicants in this category will be placed on the waiting list for a preference at the time their initial, one-year lease term expires. Their annual recertification date will be used as their application date.
It is not known how selected applicants will be placed on the waiting list, weighed by order of preferences.
For more information, visit the KHA website.
Sources: This information was verified by the KHA, as of August 7, 2020.
This waiting list is for rental assistance in Allen, Anderson, Ballard, Barren, Bath, Bracken, Breathitt, Bullitt, Butler, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Carroll, Carter, Christian, Clark, Clay, Crittenden, Daviess, Edmonson, Elliott, Estill, Fleming, Fulton, Gallatin, Garrard, Grant, Grayson, Hancock, Hardin, Hart, Henry, Hickman, Hopkins, Jackson, Jessamine, Knott, Larue, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Lincoln, Livingston, Logan, Lyon, Magoffin, Marion, Marshall, Mason, Martin, McCreary, McLean, Meade, Menifee, Metcalfe, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Muhlenberg, Nicholas, Ohio, Oldham, Owen, Owsley, Perry, Powell, Pulaski, Robertson, Rockcastle, Rowan, Russell, Shelby, Simpson, Spencer, Todd, Trigg, Trimble, Union, Warren, Wayne, Webster, Wolfe, and Woodford County; excluding the Cities of Bowling Green, Hopkinsville, Lebanon, Madisonville, Maysville, and Owensboro, Kentucky.
Applicants who need help completing the application due to disability can make a reasonable accommodation request to the housing authority via (502) 564-9946.
Last Updated on 08/11/2020.