Metropolitan Council Housing and Redevelopment Authority is a Public Housing Agency in Saint Paul, Minnesota that participates in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV), and Public Housing programs.
|Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott and Washington County, Minnesota Housing Choice Voucher||Closed|
The Metropolitan Council Housing and Redevelopment Authority (MCHRA) Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher waiting list is currently closed. It was last open for one week in June, 2019. Before that, it was open in February, 2015; and in 2007. There is no notice of when this waiting list will reopen.
To apply during the opening period, applicants were required to complete the online application.
This waiting list had the following preferences: Live, work or attend school locally.
2,000 applicants were placed on the waiting list by random lottery, by order of preference.
According to the MCHRA, "Metro HRA will award 95% of waiting list placements to applicants who live, work or attend school full-time in the 7-county Twin Cities metro area (Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott and Washington counties). The remaining 5% of waiting list placements will be awarded to any other applicant."
For more information, visit the MCHRA website.
Last Updated on 06/18/2019.
More information about Metropolitan Council Housing and Redevelopment Authority can be found on its website at http://www.metrocouncil.org/Housing.aspx.
As of 06/18/2019, it is not known if Metropolitan Council Housing and Redevelopment Authority is either absorbing or billing Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher portability requests for porting in. Learn more about porting Housing Choice Vouchers to a new area here.
As of the most recent VMS report, Metropolitan Council Housing and Redevelopment Authority manages 6,532 active Housing Choice Vouchers.
The following is a summary of the types of vouchers managed and the monthly costs of each:
|Standard||Family Unification||Tenant Protection||Ported Out||VASH||Non-Elderly Disabled|
|Monthly Cost Per Voucher||$757||$827||$576||$902||$586||$620|
According to the 2016 Q4 Picture of Subsidized Households database, the housing authority's voucher program has an annual turnover of 6% having issued approximately 1,125 vouchers in the past year. The average voucher holder has received housing benefits for 8 years and 5 months. According to the 2016 PSH database, persons who were issued a voucher in the preceding 12 months waited an average of 18 months on the waiting list1.
According to 2016 Q4 Picture of Subsidized Households data, the average voucher household contains 2.9 persons and has a household income of $16,685 per year. 95% of households were very low income (VLI) and 75% were extremely low income (ELI). 39% of households had wages as a major source of income, 6% of households had welfare (TANF, General Assistance or Public Assistance) as their primary source of income, and 53% of households had other income (Social Security, Disability or Pension) as their major source of income.
2% of households were headed by a person 24 years old or less, 59% were headed by a person 25 to 49 years old, 22% were headed by a person 51 to 60 years old, and 18% were headed by a person 62 years old or older. In addition, 2% of households were headed by a person 85 years old or older.
54% of households included children, 11% of which had two adults in the household. 49% of households with children have a female head of household. 84% of all households were headed by a female.
67% of all voucher households were headed by minorities with 62% of all heads of households being Black and 0% being Hispanic.
Of all households participating in the Metropolitan Council Housing and Redevelopment Authority Housing Choice Voucher program, 19% include at least one person with a disability. 36% of households with a head of household 61 years or less were headed by a person with a disability. 75% of households headed by someone 62 or older were headed by a person with a disability.
32% of voucher holders reside in a home with zero or 1 bedroom, 34% with 2 bedrooms and 34% with 3 or more bedrooms. 10% of voucher recipients are considered overhoused, meaning they occupy a rental unit larger than their family size requires.
The average monthly tenant contribution to rent by Metropolitan Council Housing and Redevelopment Authority voucher holders in 2016 was $429 and the average monthly HUD expenditure per voucher holder was $791. The average utility allowance across all voucher recipients is $97.
1. This Picture of Subsidized Households data field is the average wait time of those who received a voucher in the preceding 12 months. Due to special voucher programs like VASH, recent waiting list purges, or waiting list preferences the average wait time can vary significantly from one year to the next and it is entirely possible many current applicants on the waiting list have been waiting for assistance for far longer.