Open Until Further Notice: Rhode Island Housing Choice Voucher Waiting List
Please Note: Due to the decentralized nature of affordable housing information, the information about this waiting list may be out of date.
How To Apply to the Waiting List
This housing authority participates in the Rhode Island Housing Choice Voucher Program Centralized Wait List, which is a partnership between 18 of the 28 housing authorities in Rhode Island. Applicants submit one application to apply to a centralized waiting list. Conditionally eligible applicants will be placed on a housing authority's waiting list if they fall within the agency's maximum income limit.
The Rhode Island Housing Choice Voucher Program Centralized Wait List Portal Section 8 HCV waiting list is currently open. Applications are being accepted from December 17, 2017 at 12:01 am ET, until further notice.
To apply, complete the online application here. Applications that are mailed, faxed, e-mailed or hand delivered will not be processed.
The waiting list will be sorted differently by each housing authority according to its own preferences.
Participating housing authorities may have any of the following preferences:
- Chronically Homeless (Pawtucket)
- Disabled Head or Co-Head (Cumberland and some RIHousing Project Based Voucher sites)
- Disabled Vet (Smithfield, Woonsocket)
- Displacement (Newport and Woonsocket)
- For Elderly Families (Cumberland and some RIHousing Project Based Voucher sites)
- Full-Time Student (North Providence)
- Homeless Preference (RI Housing)
- Job Training (Portsmouth, Woonsocket)
- Money Follows the Person (RI Housing)
- Near Elderly (North Providence)
- Rent Burdened (Woonsocket)
- Supportive Services (Certain RIHousing Project Based Voucher sites)
- Termination due to Insufficient Funding
- Family previously terminated from the Johnston Housing Authority Housing Choice Voucher Program (ONLY) due to insufficient funding
- Unstable Housing Situation (RI Housing)
- Veteran (East Greenwich, East Providence, Pawtucket, Smithfield, South Kingstown, Warren, Woonsocket)
- Victim of Domestic Violence (Providence, Portsmouth, Woonsocket, RI Housing tenant-based and certain Project Based Voucher sites)
- Witness Protection (Woonsocket)
- Working Family and/or Elderly/Disabled (Central Falls, Coventry, Newport, North Providence, Pawtucke, Warwick [if working, 30 hours/week], Woonsocket [if working, 20 hours/week for at least 1 month])
Further explanation of each preference can be found on the application.
Selected applicants will be placed on the waiting list by date and time the application is received, by order of preferences.
Persons requiring assistance completing an application can call Rhode Island Housing (RIH) at (844) 459-3600, or email email@example.com.
For more information, visit the Rhode Island Housing website.
Applicants who need help completing the application due to disability can make a reasonable accommodation request to the housing authority via (401) 457-1288 or TTY (401) 450-1394.
Last Updated on 03/25/2021.