As a family owned business the House of Ludington has stood the test of time. Constructed out of wood by E. Gaynor in 1865 the building was named the Gaynor House Hotel. In 1883 the building was purchased, torn down and rebuilt out of brick and renamed the New Ludington Hotel. It underwent expansions to the west, and east wings around 1910 to expand the building to 100 hotel rooms.
Since this property has received funding in part through the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program, a certain number of units are set aside for lower income households. Households must earn either less than 50% or 60% of the area median income (depending on the set-aside option chosen by the property owner) to qualify for these units. Rents in these units are capped at a maximum of 30% of the set-aside area median income (adjusted for unit size). Some rental units in this property may not be subject to LIHTC and therefore have higher rents and no maximum household income requirement.