Are there local emergency housing assistance programs?


Yes, your state may have its own emergency assistance programs that helps with rent, utilities or other emergencies; and HUD has made that information easy to find.

If you are in need of emergency housing, or at risk of losing your current housing, visit HUD's website here. Select the link for your state, and on the next page, scroll down to the "I Want To" section. There, select the "Find Homeless Resources" link for a list of available local resources. Helpful resources include:

  • Shelter locations (Locations will be listed for men, women, and children)
  • Emergency rental assistance
  • Avoid foreclosure
  • Help with your utility bills
  • Food banks
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • Homeless service groups
  • Legal assistance
  • Social Security offices
  • Homeless veterans
  • United Way
  • Jobs and job training
  • Help hotlines
  • HUD resources

More Emergency Housing FAQs from Low Income Households

  • Can I be evicted if my HUD apartment is sold?
  • Are there emergency services for a natural disaster?
  • Are there HUD emergency housing assistance programs?
  • My income will be lower after I move. Would I apply using my current income, or the income I will receive after moving?