How do I find housing assistance for seniors?


There are many federal housing resources available to seniors. These include affordable rental housing and supportive services to help seniors maintain independence for as long as possible.

The Section 202 Supportive Housing for the Elderly program provides affordable apartment communities for seniors. These properties are owned by private management companies or an individual private owner, often nonprofit organizations. Apartments at these properties have rental assistance attached to them, so that program participants pay 30% of their net income for rent. These senior developments also often include supportive services allowing residents to live independently much longer with a greater quality of life.

Other federal affordable housing programs have provisions allowing Public Housing Agencies (PHAs) and property owners to designate units or properties solely for non-elderly disabled or senior occupancy. Public Housing, Section 8 Project-Based Rental Assistance, Low-Income Housing Tax Credit and U.S. Department of Agriculture Section 515 programs all allow units to be set aside for disabled people and seniors.

For an in-depth explanation of housing resources for seniors, please read our Housing for Seniors Guide here.

More Housing Assistance Eligibility FAQs from Low Income Households

  • The housing office I applied through told me I didn't qualify to receive assistance, and I don't know why. What could have made me ineligible?
  • Who qualifies for affordable housing assistance?
  • What has to be included in my household income?
  • Where can I apply?
  • Do I qualify with a criminal record?