Can Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers be transferred to a different area?

Yes, Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers may be transferred to another Public Housing Authority’s (PHA) service area once specific conditions are met. This process is referred to as portability.

For the purposes of portability, HUD refers to the PHA that first issued the voucher to the household as the “Initial PHA”. The agency that will administer the assistance in the new location is referred to as the “Receiving PHA”.

Initial PHAs have the option to restrict portability for households moving into their service area for assistance. Initial PHAs may only restrict portability for up to one year.

To transfer voucher assistance to a new location, voucher households must be in good standing with the Initial PHA and eligible to receive HCV assistance in the Receiving PHAs service area.

Tagged As